Sunday, July 24, 2011

Updated website! and starter statement

Here is my blurb about this semsters project on my website http://www.ndaviau.weebly.com/ . I am also in the process of making buisness cards (inspired by the fabulous ones i was given by all you at the residency...)

Currently I am creating 8760 felt balls to make a giant ball "pit".This project will be installed January 6th at The Art Institute of Boston as my fall semesters work. The balls will be unrestrained, piled up for jumping in and playing with. In the installation space there will also be an audio track playing with sounds of children playing, at school, video gaming etc.

  Each ball will represent an hour in a year of a child’s life (8,760 hours in one year), color coded to an activity. Red for free play, blue for television, video game and computer use, purple for school, orange for family time, green for structured activity (i.e. sport scouting, music lessons etc) yellow for sleep.

 My hope is to encourage adults and children to play and interact in a non goal directed, unspecified way. Adults are not encourage to free play, the activity "toys" for adults are expensive cars, atv's, new cleaning devices, boats, shopping, and of course the TV,  internet and I phone's host of distractions. As a mother of a play loving toddler I find myself being begged to play and often greeting this as a chore. "Shouldn’t I be doing something more "productive" with my time" I think. I miss being able to throw away the to-do list and play in an imaginary world more convincing than this one. When I am able to answer to the call of the child I find myself feeling significantly happier and less stressed, the dirty dishes and bills no longer seem so important- play therapy for a stressed adult. This space will be a reprive from the nagging humdrum of daily life, an open ended space for the child in everyone to come out and play.

If you are interested in helping with the project by making a felt ball (or a thousand) please contact me through my email nmdaviau@gmail.com Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment