Thursday, February 2, 2012

I'm a lichen it!

So for my second post in one week (i do declare a personal record!):  I started reading this book about parks, gardens, environmental psychology etc called american eden. a pretty good read. and re-reading a place of my own by michael pollan  (a much better read) and walden (of course). and i started reading some gary paulsen to my son (he is loving woodsong). I have been thinking about the great outdoors a lot and pondering what i will do late into the night.
Then i decided to climb a tree. when i was smaller (well younger at least) i used to sit in a particular tree, that is no longer standing, for hours at a time pretending the birds would land on me ala snow white. (they never did). I went for a stroll looking for a nice perch and found a disappointing one measly tree with branches suitable for my unskilled big butt. after a rather short and equally disappointing climb i dismounted and kept on walking.  until i saw IT- a beautiful, stunning, glistening in the morning light, covered in moss and mushrooms --- stump. and i could not stop examining it. so i grabbed my pathetic camera and took over 240 pics of this stump with fallen tree leaning against it. and dreamed that i was a small enough creature to fit in all of its little crevices and holes. The amazing thing about it is that the photos (which i can not yet upload- cursed lost cord. grrr) look like stunning huge landscapes. I was out there  until my memory card was full and finger were frozen and i felt a little silly caressing and drooling on this tree (i've named it Stumpy).
  So i am not sure where the hell this is going but i think i am going to spend a bit more quality time with old Stumpy and see what happens ( i hope it glows at night).... on a more exciting tangent i have been thinking about creating a nesty tree house home in the woods to escape to.... and of course a zip line ( you know for the flying feel). My old one that my dad built for my tree house (and nearly killed himself on) is still kicking around in a shed and for thrills and giggles i might hang it up, so come on over!

No comments:

Post a Comment