Sunday, February 12, 2012

Drawing! How much further away from the expected could i go?!

So for yet another "should have experimented with this my first semester" moment i have started to DRAW! yes me, it has been such a looong time that i had to wrestle out my art bin from under a few sedimentary layers of shit in the studio closet (which is actually a pile that extends out into the studio a few feet, like a landslide). I decided to start on a roll of rice paper which i have always loved working on because of its translucency and texture (and the fact that it is a roll and cheep to boot). After rigging up a bungee cord drawing board system for it i ventured into the frigid outdoors, figures i decide to start this when the winter temps finally set in! I am making a kind of time line map. using time to be the organizing principal of the map in a linear form. so starting at one end of the rice paper i drew interesting things (using pencil and charcoal) when it felt "done" i rolled that part up and started on a new part the next time i saw something i felt needed to be memorialized. i built a little pile of rocks (ala inuksuk- not the people kind) and sketched it that so i would have a record of when and where that session was over so i could start back up there next time. { http://indianrockpiles.weetu.com/articles/RockPileTypes.html - interesting link from the uk about different rock piles and significance. } This is functioning as kind of a mapping of landmarks according to time and where i was wandering (most of which are really small but i have a tendency to draw really really big). I will see where this goes and how i will install my big ol'roll!
I also found this about rube goldberg style contraptions and i am in LOVE. must make one. http://cre.ations.net/creation/sticks-and-stones
 I have a meeting with my mentor Wendy Jacob on Thursday! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment