Tuesday, November 20, 2012

plastic fantastic!

This weekend i went to nyc to see some art! After a lot of looking at what was around i decided to spend my time at the brooklyn museum and am very happy i did! the exhibition i was most excited to see was jean-michel othoniel's 50 year retrospective of glass and obsidian extravaganza. The work ranged from his small sulphur and wax sculptures that as the info stated resembled "orifices" to his monumental glass bead installations and fabric peep hole curtains.  Mickalene Thomas had a whole floor of massive paintings encrusted with rhinestones, photos,  a great video piece, and a four room installation. I did not expect to fall so totally in love with her work. the 70's aesthetic never particularly appealed to me and I have no nostalgic associations with it. the Internet images of her work do not do it justice. they are slick, seductive and jarring. and of course i love that they are beyond huge. The first floor also had some great stuff as well as the fourth floor with the dinner party and an unexpected find - a .
My mentor meeting on sunday morning was super helpful. Diana Cooper and I discussed my plastic pieces that I brought with me. The white lights that i brought for the inside of the tube are not the solution to lighting it, a more ambient and diffused white light is what i will be using in the final install. We discussed technical issues with making a 7 foot wooden cube work structurally and executing it in the clean and precise way i envision. so without further ado i am going to start on the frame cube part of the installation. in addition to working on the actual cube i am making a scaled model of the installation in the room to help with planning the space.
I am very happy with the plastic sheeting and will be posting pictures of it soon (my camera battery died mid transfer).

No comments:

Post a Comment